Album Review: Michael Bublé: To Be Loved (2013)

With his distinct, old fashioned-yet current style, Michael Bublé is one of modern music's greatest voices. The Canadian pop-jazz crooner is known for his old-school sensibilities, while at the same time blending modern sounds with classic tunes.

To Be Loved is Michael Bublé's eighth studio album. Like all of his releases, To Be Loved is largely a collection of covers of classic standards, with a few original songs thrown in. By the numbers, there are ten cover songs and four originals. Two major stars feature on the album, actress Reese Witherspoon (in a very rare singing role) and singer Bryan Adams.

Following up his multi-platinum 2011 album Christmas, To Be Loved is just as you'd expect- heartfelt, sincere, fun and wonderfully performed.

Below is the track-by-track review of the album ( * denotes original song)

1. "You Make Me Feel So Young" (Frank Sinatra): As cheerful and positive this song is, I thought it was an odd choice to open the album, since it's a song from 1946 and the arrangement is true to the original. Still, Bublé's performance is impeccable, as always.

*2. "It's A Beautiful Day": I've already reviewed this song in detail, so you can check it out here. It stands out as one of the best songs on the album and rightfully so, as it's the lead single. Great original song and sure to be a hit (it already is)

3. "To Love Somebody" (The Bee Gees): One of my favorite songs found its way onto this album! I love this version- everything from the vocals to the arrangement sound new and contemporary, which is good since I've heard a million artists sing this song. This is definitely one of the best versions of this song I've heard.

4. "Who's Loving You" (The Miracles): I'll be honest- I've never heard this song before, so this was a great way to be introduced to it. Like I said, Buble makes it sound new and contemporary.

5. "Something Stupid" (featuring Reese Witherspoon) (Frank and Nancy Sinatra): Reese Witherspoon? Really? Yes! Really! I love this version so much! Reese Witherspoon isn't the greatest singer, but her vocals are soft, breathy and simple, just how this song needs it to be. She isn't unnecessarily pushed to the forefront of the song, and that's a very good decision. One of the highlights of the album.

6. "Close Your Eyes" (Frank Sinatra): Michael Buble is clearly a big fan of Sinatra, as we can see by the number of Sinatra covers on here. This version is true to its roots and Bublé sounds great. Too bad it's not my kind of song.

*7. "Close Your Eyes": The second original song, this is a classic Bublé ballad much like Home and Lost from his previous albums. It's inspiring and a really great listen.

*8. "After All" (featuring Bryan Adams): I loved that Bryan Adams was a guest on this song. The duo blend perfectly together. "After All" is an upbeat love song, and it really suits both singers really well. Another one of my favorites on this album.

9. "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" (with Naturally 7) (Lulu Belle and Scotty): I've always loved this song, so having it on this album is great. It's barebones, featuring real instruments and great backing vocals (courtesy Naturally 7). As always, Bublé makes it his own and injects enough smoothness and soul to really make this song fresh.

10. "To Be Loved" (Jackie Wilson): I thought this was an original, but then I found out it's originally sung by Jackie Wilson. This is of course, another love ballad. Its really good and one of my favorites on the album. Bublé really

11. "You've Got A Friend In Me" (Randy Newman): If you're as big a Disney-Pixar fan as I am, chances are you've seen Toy Story, from which this song is taken. I'm so happy that this was selected- it's a relatively current song (compared to most of the others on this album). As used as I am to Randy Newman's distinct style, I think Bublé put a really great spin on this classic. Another highlight.

12. "Nevertheless (I'm In Love With You)" (featuring the Puppini Sisters) (Bing Crosby): I've never heard this song before, so it was nice to listen to. Of course, it's possibly the oldest song here (1931) and the age definitely shows. But oh well, I'm okay with it. I just found it a little boring and loungy.

*13. "I Got It Easy": The final original song on the album, and one of the standouts in terms of Bublé's vocal performance. With a host of background singers and triumphant instrumentation- this song is soaring and amazing. I would love to see this performed live sometime.

14. "Young At Heart" (Frank Sinatra): Of course Bublé would end with a Sinatra standard. It's heartfelt and true to the original. A great version.

I usually dislike albums with too many covers, but Michael Bublé's To Be Loved is an exception. The ten cover songs are all brilliantly done and Bublé really puts his own stamp on them. The four original songs are all really good and very well written. One problem I have with this album is that some of the song choices are dated and will mostly only appeal to people who are familiar with the originals. The addition of Reese Witherspoon and Bryan Adams are both highlights of the album and both their songs are instant favorites with me.

I've always idolized Michael Bublé, from his style to his music, but despite my obvious partiality, this album is really good. Like really good. I predict big sales for this (his Christmas album sold 7 million copies worldwide). My advice: BUY THIS NOW! No matter what your age group, there's something for everyone to enjoy in this album! It's a great way to introduce your kid to the classics and for older listeners, it's a fantastic trip down memory lane. And how can you not like that voice? One of the best albums of 2013 so far.

Best Songs: "It's A Beautiful Day", "To Love Somebody", "Something Stupid", "After All", "To Be Loved", "You've Got A Friend In Me", "I Got It Easy"

RATING: