A Walk in the Rain

It was raining very heavily this morning. Still, my mom, being the "character builder" that she is, sent me out to the local bakery to get some buns for breakfast.

Of course, I protested. "But it's raining!"
"So what? Take an umbrella!" she said.
Very funny.

Anyway, I got dressed and set out. Without an umbrella. I don't know why, but something told me I wouldn't need one. And I didn't, because the rain was just a strong sprinkle now.

Walking along, I thought of the last time I took a walk in the rain. I couldn't remember it! But at that moment, I knew that it didn't matter. I was in the present. In the now. I made sure to splash in all the puddles I passed. I didn't care what people thought. I didn't bother about my clothes getting ruined. I was free and loving it. The air was cool and fresh, a light spray fell on my face.

On the way back from the bakery, I thought. A strange realization came to me. This was me, connected to nature. No phone, no iPod, no internet. Just me, in tune with God's beautiful creation. I felt strangely at peace. This was real happiness. It had been so long since I felt that way!

A lot of us take our lives for granted. We depend on technology for our basic happiness. And that is understandable, it is the 21st Century and we all have hectic lives. But when was the last time you stopped and thought? When was the last time you were responsible for your own happiness?

Material things may make us happy for now, but eventually we are driven to more and more greed.
Today, stop and think. You are the source of your own happiness. Depending on people and inanimate objects will not grant you peace.

Go on, be happy today!

Gary