WhatNotToSing Web Ratings Season 12: Guys vs. Gals


I watched last evening's American Idol episode with my 15 year old son who was more busy watching for his school to be cancelled for the following day (it was!) The first batch of 10 guys performed, and I was not overly impressed with any of them. I was curious to see how the WhatNotToSing ratings would look for them and I was surprised what some of the scores were, especially compared to Wednesday night lady performances. Curtis Finch Jr. scored a 71, tying Angela Miller and ending up higher than Amber Holcomb. I much preferred Devin Velez's performance since I cannot stand to watch Curtis perform (he sounds much better when I close my eyes and just listen to him.) I was also surprised with how low of a score Elijah Liu received. I knew he did not sound that great last night, but I thought he was still better than Charlie Askew. Like many people I was also surprised that JDA did not make it to the top 5 last night over Charlie. I am not sure why Charlie is getting so much love from the judges since he grates on my nerves. It will be curious to see how far he gets in the voting rounds.

For fun I took the 20 ratings from this week and graphed them, color coded by gender:
The light pink are the ladies that made it, the darker red are the ladies who did not, the dark blue are the guys that made it, the light blue are the guys that did not. Charlie and Elijah sit unusually on the low end surrounded by eliminated contestants. Isabelle at 53 remains the highest rated eliminated contestant.   Of the 10 that are moving on, 7 of them rated at least a 50, with the only one besides Charlie and Elijah not reaching that level being Tenna Torres.

Of the top 5 rated contestants from this week: Kree Harrison, Angela Miller, Curtis Finch, Amber Holcomb and Devin Velez, I still can only see a gal winning from that group. Despite strong vocals, Curtis just rubs me the wrong way and I see him going the way of Mike Lynch, Jacob Lusk or Joshua Ledet, strong singers who just cannot connect with the voters enough to actually win over other favorites. I see Kree and Angela as the ones to beat with Amber and Devin still too unknown to see what will happen with them. We will have to see who they will have to compete against next week!