One Month Since I Left Facebook


Are you on Facebook?

If you're one of the billion "normal" people, you probably are. You also probably checked your Facebook before visiting this page. Or you will soon after reading this. Either way, Facebook is a pretty big thing today.

Today marks exactly one month since I left Facebook. Let's say that I left because I wanted to be responsible for my own happiness, not depend on others for that. It's actually pretty crazy once you think about it. With every status update, every picture added, every comment, people clamour for more and more "Likes".And don't even mention the thousands of "friends" people have online! "You have 2358 Friends? how cool!"

Not.

You see dear readers, I am not against Facebook as a platform to connect with your loved ones. That is great. I am, however, against the use of Facebook to garner attention. Because we feel great when people comment or Like our pictures, it becomes an addiction. We want more. And more.

Please do not depend on Facebook for your happiness! I have said this before and emphasize this again: you are responsible for your own happiness. True happiness is not the sum total of comments and Likes on our profile. That is temporary and will fade away. True happiness is when you accomplish something on your own after a lot of hard work. It is talking to your family and friends in person, laughing along with them and sharing experiences with them.

Sure, Facebook is a great platform to meet and connect. But once you start basing your happiness on a website, you cross the safety line. One month ago, I decided to permanently delete my account. Since then, I revamped this blog, spoke to family and friends on the phone and in person, and have found time to do more productive things. I can truly say that I am no longer dependent on a multi-million dollar corporation for my personal well being.

I will return to Facebook some day. Whether in a few days, a few months or a few years. But when I do, I most certainly will not depend on it as the primary source of my happiness.

What about you? What are your views on Facebook? Is it okay to live on a website? And are people who are not on Facebook psychos? Sound off!