Press Start!

Recently I was listening to the new episode of The Animation Addicts Podcast with The Rotoscopers (if you're still not listening to them, I'm still angry with you) and the episode was dedicated to the new Disney movie, Wreck-It Ralph (listen to their awesome review episode here or read my review here) and the world of video games! The Nerdy Couch Discussion centered on the hosts' Top 5 video games of all time. And of course, I didn't want to be left out!

I've never been a hardcore gamer, but come on, growing up in the 90s, it was kind of hard to avoid video games, right? (90s Baby shoutout!!!) Besides, one could arguably say, the 1990s was the best period for video games ever!

So here are:

MY TOP 5 FAVORITE VIDEO GAMES EVER!

5. All The Disney Games (various platforms; 1990s-present): Aladdin, The Lion King, Hercules, Pocahontas, A Bug's Life, The Incredibles, 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue, Tigger's Hunny Hunt, Cars, WALL-E, and many, many more! Some on my old Windows 98 computer, some on my PSP, some at my best friend's place...wow. Most people call them cheap franchise cash-ins, I call them beloved childhood classics.

"Watch out, Al!"

4. Pokémon Black and White (Nintendo DS; 2011): For me, the best Pokémon games since Pokémon Red and Blue! The quality is so incredible and it feels like a refreshed version of the original games. Brilliant use of 3D graphics as well- and a heck of a story! If you love Pokémon and haven't played these, I suggest you pick up one right now. I played White Version and started with Tepig (he's a Level 81 Emboar now but listens to my every word).

649 and more to come...

3.The Harry Potter Movie Tie-In Games (2001-2011; various platforms): Be honest- you've played at least one of these. Although I haven't yet played the final two parts (Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2) I think these games have always been part of my childhood. They're not awesome games, but personally I love them. I played the first four and sixth on PC and the fifth on PSP. Great way to pass the time. My personal favorite is the Prisoner of Azkaban PC game. Awesome!

How can you say no to fighting off a bunch of Dementors?

2. Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo Entertainment System; 1985): Come on!!! You know it, you love it. I know most of this game by heart- where everything's hidden, where the secret 1-ups are, which pipes take you where- it's incredible. This game has defined gaming culture and has to be on your list. You haven't played this? Get out from under your rock and play it now! Or the newer ones too!

Jump, Mario, JUMP!

and my number one, all-time favorite game is...

drum roll...

1. Pokémon Red and Blue (Game Boy; 1998): Just...just...oh my gosh. I have no words to describe how phenomenally awesome these games are. The sheer level of strategy and amount of stuff to do is staggering. I don't remember, but I think I played this for more than 200 hours! In fact, whenever I feel like a  nostalgia boost, I load it up on my computer! It's truly magical. By the way, I played Blue version and started with a Squirtle (I didn't let him evolve even though he wanted to- he was too cute).

I wanna be the very best...


Honorable Mentions:

*Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color; 2000): Sequels to Pokémon Red and Blue, they're as awesome as the originals. You could also check out the equally venerable 2010 remakes of these games for Nintendo DS, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver.




*Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo 3DS; 2011): Currently what I'm playing (for the third time). It's classic Mario with a 3D twist. If you want lots of hours of fun, get it!



So that's it! Those were some of MY favorite games. Gosh, I turned out to be quite the Nintendo fanboy, didn't I? Ha. What are your favorites? Have a game to recommend? Sound off in the comments!