Album Review: "Blake Shelton: Cheers, It's Christmas" (2012)

"Cheers, It's Christmas" (c) 2012 Warner Bros. Records
Although I'm a big country music fan, I'll be honest: I've never listened to a Blake Shelton album before. Sure, I know who Blake Shelton is. He's a celebrity coach on The Voice. He's also married to Miranda Lambert. That's it, right? And that's all I know about him. Now why am I listening to his new Christmas album? Because I am a sucker for Christmas-themed anything. The first major holiday release of the year, "Cheers, It's Christmas" is Shelton's seventh studio album and first Christmas album. Released October 2, rather early for a Christmas album, "Cheers, It's Christmas" includes fourteen tracks, a healthy mix of classics and some worthy originals. About eight guest artists feature on this album as well, the likes of which include some of my favorites like Michael Buble and Kelly Clarkson.

I love country, and I love Christmas. So obviously the combination of the two makes for a great album that I thoroughly enjoyed listening to. I was a little wary, since I had never heard Blake Shelton's music and was afraid that the album might feel a little irreverent considering Blake Shelton's past music (he has an album called Pure BS). That touch of fun is still there (Santa's Got a Choo-Choo Train for example) but overall it's a great, honest sounding album that doesn't take away the spirit of the season. I was impressed. I will now do a song-by-song review of the album:

1. "Jingle Bell Rock" (featuring Miranda Lambert): Great way to start out the album. This song never gets old, no matter who sings it. And Miranda's presence makes it a lot more fun.

2. "White Christmas": A bit of trivia: This is my favorite Christmas song of all time. And Blake does a good job with it. No gimmicks. Thank you, man.

3. "Oklahoma Christmas" (featuring Reba McEntire): That's right! REBA! The first of five original songs on this album. This is a Christmas album and songs like this give it that distinct country flavour. And Reba is awesome!!!

4. "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!": Another classic song I adore. May I just say this is one of the best versions of this song I've heard! Great! Great! Great!

5. "There's A New Kid In Town" (featuring Kelly Clarkson): Beautiful song, this one. And Kelly Clarkson!? My Idol? Excuse me while I scream! This is a great addition to my holiday favorites list. Kelly, we want a Christmas album from you, please! And this song is my favorite on the whole album!

6. "Santa's Got A Choo-Choo Train": In case you forgot, this is a Blake Shelton album. A really fun song with a country flavour. Can't go wrong with that.

7. "Home" (featuring Michael Bublé): Two words: Blown Away. Definitely a highlight of the album. I was expecting it to be the same version of Michael Bublé's from 2005, but this turned out to be a thoroughly re-recorded version of that song with all-new lyrics! I have always idolized Michael Bublé and having him on here was a great surprise. I hope they release this as a single or something.

8. "Winter Wonderland": I found this rendition pretty "safe", as in,  there was nothing new to listen to. I know "don't fix what ain't broke", and this is a fantastic classic song, but I wish there was something spectacular about it. But it's good enough. Whatever.

9. "The Christmas Song": Same thing with this one. Blake sounds really nice and homely and gives the song the important nostalgic feel it needs, but again, nothing new. But still good.

10. "Blue Christmas" (featuring Pistol Annies): I liked the background vocals on this one! Very old-school and 1940s feeling. Kudos to the Pistol Annies (which also includes Miranda Lambert).

11. "I'll Be Home For Christmas": Another one of my favorite Christmas songs of all time. Blake's country twang lends it something different and unique.

12. "Silver Bells" (featuring Xenia): Remember Xenia from Season 1 of The Voice? Real nice of Blake to bring back his team member for a duet here. And Xenia sounds pretty good here! I've never heard her on a recorded song before, only live. The tone of her voice is really unique. Not robust or anything, but very nice. A very good version overall.

13. "Time For Me To Come Home" (featuring Dorothy Shackleford): Does anyone know who Dorothy Shackleford is? Because sadly I have no idea. This is a great song, a quiet and soft duet. Perfect for background music at your Christmas dinners.

14. "The Very Best Time of the Year" (featuring Trypta Phunk): I found this a bit...slow and forgettable for an album closer. Not bad, but still, usually the last song on your album should leave an overall impression of the album. This one is good, but doesn't have much "take away" value.

My favorite songs from the album are the duets with Kelly Clarkson and Michael Buble. I suggest that if you don't buy the entire album, at least download these two songs because they are sure to become holiday staples in your home.

I think it's weird that this is the first Blake Shelton album I ever listened to. I know, I know, I should probably listen to his previous work too. That said, I was amazed by his voice. I had heard him sing on The Voice before, but never on record. Definitely one of the best male country voices right now.

"Cheers, It's Christmas" is a solid (though at times safe) addition to your holiday collection. The five original songs, fantastic new version of "Home", all time great classics, and the many guest artists make for a great musical experience you can enjoy with your entire family.

RATING:

Have you listened to this album yet? Will you be picking it up this shopping season? What are your thoughts? Sound off in the comments! 

Stay tuned, because Christmas music season is here and the albums are coming out fast! 
More Christmas album reviews: * Christmas With Scotty McCreery
                                                     *  Lady Antebellum: On This Winter's Night
                                                     * Colbie Caillat: Christmas In The Sand