Season 11 Top 13 guys - Could DialIdol be Right?


Last night I checked DialIdol before going to bed and saw that for some strange reason Jermaine Jones was at the top of the DialIdol rankings for the Top 13 guys and I thought something must be amiss there. But then I woke up this morning and came into the office to see Jermaine still green, but with Eben, Chase and Adam in front of him. What? I had expected more popular seeming guys like Phillip or Colton to perhaps end up on top, but Eben? I was curious how well last year's DialIdol for the Top 12 guys looked so I pulled those numbers out:
Sure enough, DialIdol accurately predicted 4 out of the Top 5 correctly and their top 3 last year were all among the top 5 vote receivers (only Casey Abrams was not in their top 6.) I could not fathom a Top 5 guys this year including all 4 of Eben, Chase, Adam and Jermaine. I remember last year, though, that for the Top 12 girls DialIdol incorrectly pegged Tatynisa Wilson on top when she had very few raw votes (only 167), so I thought I would look at the totals raw votes from last night (and compare them to the guys totals from Season 10):
First off, it appears the total number of votes cast using DialIdol from last night was only about 73% of the DialIdol votes cast last season at this point (28,548 vs 39,077). I am sure if more people actually used DialIdol to vote it would give much more accurate results. And two of the guys picked "green" (safe) this year received less than 1,000 total votes via DialIdol (Chase and Adam) so you wonder how accurate their prediction is. Even the top rated Eben only had 1800 votes cast for him via DialIdol and only 19 busy signals. Last year on Top 12 guys night Scotty McCreery received 334 busy signals with 4869 total votes and James Durbin received 608 busy signals with 5406 votes so their predictions may have been more valid. The most busy signals that anyone received this year was 131 for Jermaine, and I am guessing those all came quite early on since I saw him as the only safely "green" contestant when I first checked shortly after the telecast ended.

In fact now that I look at the total raw scores from last year, I noticed the Top 5 in total raw votes for Season 10 were exactly the top 5 vote getters at that point. If you look at the top 5 raw vote getters from last night: (Phillip, Colton, Jermaine, Reed, Heejun) they sound more like the expected top 5 vote getters than the ones selected using the busy signal criteria. We will have to wait until Thursday to know for sure.