Wow, I Underestimated "Clear As Day" Sales... Again...


Okay, just last week I was guessing that "Clear As Day" would fall out of the Top 15 of the BillBoard charts. Can I take back that guess? HitsDailyDouble just released its Monday early estimates, and I was looking at positions 10 through 20 thinking, "Hey, where is Scotty, he didn't drop that low did he?" I saw Taylor Swift at #13 and looked below her and saw The Band Perry (#16), Lady Antebellum (#20) and Blake Shelton (#23) and kept looking lower for "Clear As Day". Surely, he did drop below the top 25, did he? But then I looked at the top 10, and there he was again staring at me at a lofty #7 with almost 48K in sales compared to 27K for Taylor Swift with only 38% of retailers reporting. When will I learn not to expect Scotty to sell like a normal human being? On my lovely chart I added 50K for Scotty for the week and 10K for Lauren, but I have no idea how much she will actually have in sales and how much over 50K Scotty will sell this week. It is better not to even guess anymore. On the early estimates James Durbin has a little over 12K in sales, so hopefully his final numbers will be significantly higher than that, but there is no way he will come close to Lauren's first week sales of 70K. I will just wait for tomorrow for the final HDD numbers and then the official SoundScan numbers on Wednesday to update my graph.

Last week I also said it would be a few weeks until 'Clear as Day" surpassed Brad Paisley's "This Is Country Music". Now I think it may very well be this week. Oh well, I can see Brad joking about it and having fun with it anyway, saying something about how Scotty and The Band Perry can help pay his Social Security.

Yup, there is Scotty right next to Adele. Two CD selling machines...