American Idol Finale - The Second Coming of Lee Dewyze (or the Third Kris Allen)

Yikes, I was hoping for Scotty McCreery's sake that DialIdol.com would not be showing him such a clear winner, but it does. It appears he may  be destined to be the next Lee DeWyze. In fact, if we look at the busy signals, he is beating Lauren Alaina even more soundly than Lee beat Crystal Bowersox last year.

This would not have been a problem if Scotty had soundly out sung Lauren all evening long, but that was definitely not the case. They both started out fairly well with "Gone" and "Flat on the Floor", but I thought Lauren performed better than Scotty in both their second and third songs, even though she was not all that incredible herself. Scotty needed a big moment with his single, "I Love You This Big", but that song was not a great choice for him, even if he performed it reasonably well. I thought Lauren's cover of "Like My Mother Does" went very well and is radio ready, if not somewhat generic. (Plus I thought we saw much too much of Lauren's mother during the performance!) So it looks like Scotty will likely win tomorrow, but now I am very curious to the sales numbers for their two singles. It will also be interesting to see if Haley, James or Pia have a single that is released soon and how they do in sales.

As for myself I am not voting for either of them tonight after voting continuously for Haley the past two weeks. I was hoping to see a performance that would make me want to vote for one of them, but it did not happen for me tonight.

I also checked the USA Today Idol Chatter blog, and it appears most people agree with me that Lauren sang better than Scotty did tonight, but that Scotty will probably win the competition.
We will have to see what happens tomorrow, but it looks like yet another year where the best performer on finale night does not win the title of American Idol.